The Gathaithi Factory (wetmill) is located in Nyeri in Central Kenya. Nyeri is known for coffees with intense, complex, and flavor-dense cup profiles. It is made up of mainly smallholder farms, each with some 100 trees. They are organized in Cooperative Societies that acts as umbrella organizations for the Factories (wetmills), where the smallholders deliver their coffee cherries for processing.
There is a lot of competition in Nyeri. Many of the farmers are surrounded by several wetmills. They are free to choose where they want to deliver their cherries as members. Due to the traditional auction system in Kenya, quality is rewarded with higher prices. The better factories will then attract more farmers by producing coffee getting the highest prices, as well as giving high payback rate to the farmers. This can in some cases be about 90% of the sales price after cost of marketing and preparation is deducted.
Exotic fruits, great structure, intense.
|16 gr.||255 gr.||2:45||94º|
|V60 01 - filters VCF-01-100W - EK 43 Coffee Burrs - Bestmax Premium|
- ORIGIN : Nyeri, Central Kenya, Kenya
- ALTITUDE : 1800 masl
- HARVEST : Nov – Dec 2016
- WET MILL : Gathaithi Factory
- FARMERS : About 800 smallholders in the surrounding areas.
- PROCESS : Cherries are hand sorted for unripes and overripes by the farmers before they go in to production. A 4-disc Agaarde pulping machine removes the skin and pulp. The co ees are graded by density in to 3 grades by the pulper. Grade 1 and 2 go separately to fermentation. Grade 3 is considered low grade. The co ee is fermented for 16-24 hours under closed shade. After fermentation the co ees are washed and again graded by density in washing channels and are then soaked under clean water for 16-18 hours.
- DRYING : Sun dried up to 21 days on African drying beds. Co ees are covered in plastic during midday and at night.
- SOIL : Mainly Nitisol. Nitisols occur in highlands and on volcanic steep slopes. They are developed from volcanic rocks and have better chemical and physical properties than other tropical soils.
- LOT : # 38
- VARIETY : SL 28 & SL 34
- GRADE : AA